Changing the mail spoolfile

I have changed where procmail puts mail for each user with the following
settings in /etc/procmailrc:
PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin
MAILDIR=$HOME/mail   # all mailboxes are in mail/
DEFAULT=$MAILDIR/inbox
LOGFILE=/dev/null
SHELL=/bin/sh

So now the spoolfile for each user is in $HOME/mail/inbox.

How do I change the environment variable so that they are referring to
the same location.  Currently it still looks at /var/mail/$username

Note, I don't need help with how to tell mutt where to look.  This is
not a problem - I have this configured.  Everything works OK, mail is
delivered how I want it and I can read it all fine.

It is just that since I change the spoolfile in procmail, the shell
no longer tells me when I have new mail at login time.  I know I just
have to change some setting in the shell environment to tell it where
the spoolfile is.

I have done google searches, and checked all the .bashrc, .bash_profile
files I can find with no mention of a spoolfile variable.

Should I change things back so that the spoolfile is in the default
location?

Thanks for help.
Mark.