Kernel modprobe boot error

I'm currently running Woody, with kernel 2.2.19pre17.

I wanted to try the newest kernel 2.4.16. I downloaded the kernel source and the pcmicia source, since this is a laptop with a pcmcia network card. I unpack them, run make menuconfig, being sure to put pcmcia in as a module. I run make-kpkg kernel_image modules_image and it works great.

I do dpkg -i kernel-image..... and it installs fine. Lilo runs and I make sure I can boot to the old kernel as well.

When I boot the new kernel, it starts to boot, then I get over a screenful of the same error message:

kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k binfmt-464c, errno = 8

Where did I go wrong?

Thanks

Barbara