Re: What happened to compose? Yet more information

On Tue, Dec 11, 2001 at 10:52:12AM -0500, dman wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 11, 2001 at 01:38:06PM +0200, Johann Spies wrote:
> | We found this this morning:
> |
> | In bash type Ctrl-v Ctrl-.  "e and then get ë.
>
> Do you have bash (readline) in "vi" mode or "emacs" mode?  In vim I
> can type ^V to escape the next character (allows entering in control
> characters directly) or to type "x<1 byte hex code>" or
> "u<2 byte hex unicode code>" and enter in any character.

My readline is in emacs mode.

> | No locale and language settings seems to make any difference.
>
> The ^V^."e trick doesn't work for me.  I have LANG=en_US.  It still
> doesn't work if I set LANG=en_US.UTF-8.  Does it still work for you if
> you set LANG to the values I've tried?

The normal compose key Ctrl-. does not work.  I have not tested the
effect of different language settings on the Cntrl-v Ctrl-. one - don't
have time now.  I will try later.

> Also, are you trying this in the console or some sort of X terminal?

This is on the console.  I also have problems in a terminal, but that is
not so serious to me at the moment.

Regards.

Johann
--
Johann Spies          Telefoon: 021-808 4036

     "Be of good courage, and he shall strengthen your
      heart, all ye that hope in the LORD."
                                  Psalms 31:24