Re: X starts on boot--no exit--shades of J P Sartre

On Tue, 11 Dec 2001 23:28:13 +0000, p wrote:

>On Mon, Dec 10, 2001 at 09:51:53PM -0600, Gary Turner wrote:
>> I configured xfree86 but I'm not running X because 1) my mouse acts
>> squirrelly and 2) I haven't downloaded the i810e server yet.  Tonight I
>> wanted to study/work on the shutdown procedures, and said shutdown -r
>> now.  This was first reboot since installing X.  The X or gnome or some
>> graphic login screen appeared upon reboot and I logged in.
>>
>> Now my squirrel of a mouse-driver sends the cursor below the bottom edge
>> of the screen, and seems to move left or right 80 pixels at a time,
>> popping up little menus that I can't access.  Enough playing with the
>> mouse, and a terminal screen will come up (Xterm?).  Using ps and kill,
>> I can stop X, but just as fast as it dies, a new login screen appears.
>>
>> Now if someone will tell me what to look at and what to change so that X
>> must be explicitly started, I will be much obliged.
>>
>> Plus, how can I get rid of it short term, so I can use emacs (pop-ups
>> cover 1/3 or so of the term screen, including the minibuffer) to edit
>> the file(s)?
>>
>> gt
>> Yes I fear I am living beyond my mental means--Nash
>>

>//
>
># mv /etc/rc2.d/S99xdm /etc/rc2.d/dont_use_S99xdm

Tnx, I had found the xdm script that this is linked to.  Now you have
filled in the calling thingy.  I'm assuming that boot steps through this
directory for init calls, no?  I was going to put an exit(0) statement
at the top of the sh script as a stopgap.  This seems more elegant.

gt