X starts on boot--no exit--shades of J P Sartre

I configured xfree86 but I'm not running X because 1) my mouse acts
squirrelly and 2) I haven't downloaded the i810e server yet.  Tonight I
wanted to study/work on the shutdown procedures, and said shutdown -r
now.  This was first reboot since installing X.  The X or gnome or some
graphic login screen appeared upon reboot and I logged in.

Now my squirrel of a mouse-driver sends the cursor below the bottom edge
of the screen, and seems to move left or right 80 pixels at a time,
popping up little menus that I can't access.  Enough playing with the
mouse, and a terminal screen will come up (Xterm?).  Using ps and kill,
I can stop X, but just as fast as it dies, a new login screen appears.

Now if someone will tell me what to look at and what to change so that X
must be explicitly started, I will be much obliged.

Plus, how can I get rid of it short term, so I can use emacs (pop-ups
cover 1/3 or so of the term screen, including the minibuffer) to edit
the file(s)?

gt
Yes I fear I am living beyond my mental means--Nash