Re: Homework

On Mon, Dec 10, 2001 at 02:01:52PM -0300, Nicol?s Conde wrote:
>    Hello.
>    I don't mean to be rude with this, but i've noticed that few people
> do their homework before posting. I've seen some questions over and over
> again for which answers exist in the {manual pages | list archives}.
>    Looking for existing answers (IOW doing your own research) before
> posting helps everyone: you learn about your OS and your computer,
> becoming a better {admin | user}; and also reduces the amount of
> messages received by subscribers everyday.
>    So, without wanting to ofend anyone, before you post a question
>
> 1. RTFM (Read The Friendly Manual)
> 2. Search the {archives | HOW-TOs}
> 3. Ask your local {Linux | Unix} guru (if you have one)
>
> and if this doesn't help (which I doubt) drop some lines to this list.
>    Thanks all, enjoy Linux.

Well put.

One way to encourage this is to explain where you would look and find
an answer before answering a question, if you even give the answer at
all.

If people see man, /usr/share/doc/, pointers to previous posts and
similar resources mentioned a dozen times a day, they may be more
likely to think of looking in these places before asking a question.