Re: Homework

tom schuetz wrote:

> >* Nicolás Conde (nconde@fing.edu.uy) spake thusly:
> >>    Hello.
> >>    I don't mean to be rude with this, but i've noticed that few people
> >> do their homework before posting. I've seen some questions over and over
> >> again for which answers exist in the {manual pages | list archives}.
> >>    Looking for existing answers (IOW doing your own research) before
> >> posting helps everyone: you learn about your OS and your computer,
> >> becoming a better {admin | user}; and also reduces the amount of
> >> messages received by subscribers everyday.
> >>    So, without wanting to ofend anyone, before you post a question
> >>
> >> 1. RTFM (Read The Friendly Manual)
> >> 2. Search the {archives | HOW-TOs}
> >> 3. Ask your local {Linux | Unix} guru (if you have one)
> >>
> >> and if this doesn't help (which I doubt) drop some lines to this list.
> >>    Thanks all, enjoy Linux.
>
> >YOUR AN ELITIST BASTARD. IT IS BECAUSE OF PEOPLE LIKE YOU LINUS WILL
> >NEVER HAVE MARKET SHARE.
>
> I just get tired of putting in the standard newbie disclaimer:
> I HAVE searched the archives, I HAVE done "apropos ~ ", I HAVE RTFM, I HAVE
> tried Google, and I STILL do not know the answer.
>
> Maybe I should, just to cover my butt from annoyed, veteran users. Thing is, though,
> that this list is called "User", not "Upper-echelon-kernel-developers-do-not-disturb".

  try slightly different action: post what you already tried and your
brief analysis of situation. that way people can help you better (since
they know the context of your question) and they also see that you are
active (so they are more likely to help you).

  if you do the above it's even better than the 'newbie disclaimer' you
mention above...

  in some cases you might not even know what the hell you're asking, it
happens to the best of us (them?). in that case be frank and ask for
direction, people will generally point you towards docs and other
resources to get you started (instead of 'modem does not work' one would
be better off asking 'I want to connect to internet using modem, which
docs should I read' or something to that effect)

  just think about what questions would you answer...

  I guess you knew that but I thought it might be useful to put the
above in perspective...

	erik