Re: Homework

On Mon, 10 Dec 2001 13:52:23 -0500, Wayne Topa <wtopa@dmcom.net> wrote:
[snip]
> > Maybe I should, just to cover my butt from annoyed, veteran users. Thing is, though,
> > that this list is called "User", not "Upper-echelon-kernel-developers-do-not-disturb".
> >
> I see so many requests that read like " I don't have time to read the
> FM's so could you tell me what to do ".  A well as questions that have
> already been answered the day before in long threads.  I like to help
> newbies that, at least, try to help themselves.

As to the first: If a poster is that adamant in refusing to read
documents.  Just ignore them.  They'll either give up, find the
answer by reading the documents, or rephrase their postings.

As to the second: Sometimes a user wasn't subscribed yesterday and
so didn't see all of those answers...  Sometimes people aren't
aware of list servers/archives (point it out kindly). Archives aren't
a panacea, though, as the nature of the problem/solution can change
over time (see outdated HOWTO's as an example...).

Remember, it's your decision whether to even read a post, much less
respond to it.  If it ain't worthy of your time, move on...

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2@jps.net>