Re: Homework

>   I don't mean to be rude with this, but i've noticed that few people
>do their homework before posting. I've seen some questions over and over

>again for which answers exist in the {manual pages | list archives}.
>   Looking for existing answers (IOW doing your own research) before
>posting helps everyone: you learn about your OS and your computer,
>becoming a better {admin | user}; and also reduces the amount of
>messages received by subscribers everyday.
>   So, without wanting to ofend anyone, before you post a question
>
>1. RTFM (Read The Friendly Manual)
>2. Search the {archives | HOW-TOs}
>3. Ask your local {Linux | Unix} guru (if you have one)
>
>and if this doesn't help (which I doubt) drop some lines to this list.

Hello Nicolas,

You do not live in a perfect world where everybody are as brilliant as you.

Deal with it.

In stead of nagging about often asked questions you could politely tell people
to man <whatever> if you happen to know what manuals contain the solution,
search the archive for a particular phrase, if you know the answer has been
given, or request people to ask their local guru.
In a polite and not obnoxious way though.
You are scaring people away.

I would like to note that the man pages are very technical. A newbie and/or
a non-technical person does not understand them without help.

I would like to note that the archive does not always return the needed hits
when searched. It depends on the words you search for (surprise) and a newbie
may not know the right words to search for (surprise again). Even I, who
do not considder myself a complete novice any longer, have been given references
to posts with solutions - posts that did not show up in my searches because
I didn't know the right words to search for.

I would like to note that there are not many gurus within reach on the South
African savanna, in the Australian desert, on the tiny Island of Darck, and
many other places.
Actually, in general the world is sparsely populated with gurus and Linux
gurus are a mere subset hereof.

So, Nicolas, show a little intelligence and helpfulness.
If you do not want to repeat the answer, then tell the individual where to
look for the answer, in stead of telling people off.
Help people to learn.
That is part of what we do on this list.

Best regards

Johnny.