Re: YMH OPL3-SA2 and ALSA. Comments?

shock <stephen@virtual-attorney.com> writes:

> * DvB (dvanbalen@jam.rr.com) spake thusly:
> > Has anyone with a Yamaha opl2-sa2 or opl2-sa3 sound card been using the
> > ALSA driver? If so, with what results?
>
> i'm using the opl3-sa2 driver.  i've compiled them as modules, and it
> works great.  i have *never* gotten alsa to work.  i've spent alot of
> time on the alsa list discussing the issue, but the last message i
> received regarding it was that i needed to file a bug report.  for
> better or worse, i didn't pursue it any further, mainly because the
> kernel modules worked so well.  (i was trying to set up alsa mainly for
> my own curiosity.)

Guess I better wait then...

> > In light of all the trouble I've been having with the current OSS driver
> > (I finally got all the modules to load manually, but I still can't get
> > the master-volume/treble/bass mixer channels)
>
> i've never had any problems at all with this issue.  i use aumix -L at
> bootup and it reads the settings from /etc/aumixrc.

Maybe you're not seeing the same problem I'm seeing? Whenever I boot up,
I get the following:

ad1848/cs4248 codec driver Copyright (C) by Hannu Savolainen 1993-1996
ad1848: No ISAPnP cards found, trying standard ones...
opl3sa2: Activated ISA PnP card 0 (active=1)
opl3sa2: chipset version = 0x2
opl3sa2: Found OPL3-SA3 (YMF715 or YMF719)
opl3sa2: Search for a card at 0x880.
opl3sa2: Control I/O port 0x370 is not a YMF7xx chipset!
opl3sa2: There was a problem probing one  of the ISA PNP cards, continuing
opl3sa2: Control I/O port 0x370 is not a YMF7xx chipset!
opl3sa2: There was a problem probing one  of the ISA PNP cards, continuing
opl3sa2: Control I/O port 0x370 is not a YMF7xx chipset!
opl3sa2: There was a problem probing one  of the ISA PNP cards, continuing

and I end up loading the modules by hand... well, I've got an
/etc/modutils/opl3 file since about 2.4.5 or so which specified options
for the opl3sa2 and opl3 modules (I didn't think I needed opl3, but the
driver maintainer had it in his /usr/src/linux/Documentation/* file).

This setup works fine except that I'm missing those extra mixer
channels... and the sound doesn't seem as good as when I plug my diskman
into my computer speakers (so the problem isn't using better speakers
:-)