[PART-SOLVED] Re: Network config problem

On Sunday 09 December 2001 16:24, Michael Heldebrant wrote:
> > It's strange to me that 'pump -i eth1 --status' shows correctly the
> > gateway (10.7.2.1), nameservers, etc. So I tried to add the two
> > missing entries, and it failed.
> >
> > root:> route add default gw 10.7.2.1 dev eth1
> > SIOCADDRT: Network is unreachable
> >
> > and:
> >
> > root:> route add 10.7.2.1 netmask 255.255.255.255 dev eth1
> > dboostrap_settings: Unknown host
> >
> > I guess perhaps the initialization scripts also tried to set up the
> > correct routing entries and failed.
>
> Firstly, are you supposed to be sending pump as your hostname to
> request to your dhcp server?  hostname pump in your eth1 stanza does
> exactly that.

Yes, this is the way the hosts in my internal network were configured,
and the proxy (with the old distro I used) assigned them properly
internal IPs of the 192.168.0.0 subnet.

> then adding the default gateway?  If pump continually doesn't work
> I'd consider trying dhclient.  Pump always screwed up on my multiple
> iface machine.  It would never rebind for me.  Dhclient is much nicer
> in that respect.

I replaced pump for dhclient, and it worked smoothly. Now the routing
table in the proxy looks exactly like the one of the old distro I used
before, I can ping outside and (almost) everything seems to work OK.

But now (and this is why I say PART-SOLVED) the internal hosts are not
assigned a valid internal IP from the proxy via pump. I even copied the
file dhcpd.conf from my old proxy to the new, tried changing from pump
to dhcpcd in the internal hosts, to no avail...

I'm still trying to understand what is the difference and what has
changed, so I cannot give better symptoms yet and will post again soon.

Thanks for your help !!

Daniel
--
"There is no spoon..." - The Matrix