Network config problem

Hi all !

I've a small diskless proxy booting from a floppy based distro called
Coyote. Now I've got an old HDD and I'm installing Debian Potato, but
I'm failing to get the access to the Net working.
Right now I get the external interface be assigned the valid IP address
as before, configuring it as 'static dhcp - hostname pump' in
/etc/interfaces. But when I try _any_ ping (any but my own address and
localhost, of course), it fails with a "Network is unreachable"
message. It's strange to me that the ping fails, but the names are
correctly resolved to their respective IPs.
I hope this is a good enough description of my problem. I'm not any
expert, so it's possible I'm missing something shamely (is this an
english word ?) obvious, I'm tired of reading many HOWTOs and rebooting
once and againg without success.

Thanks in advance !!

Daniel
--