Re: w3m (Re: Netscape 6.2)

on Mon, Dec 10, 2001 at 01:48:36AM -0500, Alec (alec1976nyc@yahoo.com) wrote:
> On Monday 10 December 2001 12:57 am, Rahmat M. Samik-Ibrahim wrote:
> > "Karsten M. Self" wrote:
> > > Karsten's Iron Rule of Browsers:  they all suck.
> > >
> > >     http://kmself.home.netcom.com/GNU/Linux/FAQs/browsers.html
> > >
> > > ...but I take it back.  Galeon Kicks Ass®.
> >
> > s/GNU\///
> >
> > http://kmself.home.netcom.com/Linux/FAQs/browsers.html
>
> Speaking of browsers, how does one "go back and forward" in w3m?

Back is 'B' (shift-B)
There isn't a "forward" (return to the page you just backed out of) as
you'll find on most graphical browsers.  However ^H (control-H) will get
you the history dialog.

'H' (shift-H) is keybinding help.

For a set of wrappers I've written for w3m, see:

    http://kmself.home.netcom.com/Download/w3m-scripts.tar.gz

I put both scripts in /usr/local/bin, which precedes /usr/bin on my
PATH.

It includes 'w3m', which allows you to invoke w3m without arguments.  It
will look for a bookmarks file and open it (the w3m bookmarks file by
default).  Otherwise, w3m won't open with no arguments (a minor beef).

'w3m-rxvt' launches a terminal emulator, runs screen, and invokes w3m.

When used in conjunction, there's a bit of a shuffle with the SHELL
variable.  'w3m' sets shell to /bin/bash (it should get the user's shell
from /etc/passwd, fixme).  'w3m-rxvt' sets shell to /usr/local/bin/w3m.

The result is that when you shell a new screen from w3m-rxvt, you get
another w3m session.  But when you shell out of w3m (or an editor within
it, say, when editing a web form), you get a real shell.  I find this
useful.

All are bound to <alt><shift>-W in my WindowMaker session.

Peace.