Re: Netscape 6.2

on Sat, Dec 08, 2001 at 01:55:12PM -0600, Dimitri Maziuk (dmaziuk@yola.bmrb.wisc.edu) wrote:
> * Karsten M. Self (kmself@ix.netcom.com) spake thusly:
> > on Sat, Dec 08, 2001 at 12:34:25AM -0500, Alec (alec1976nyc@yahoo.com) wrote:
> >
> > > Is Netscape 6.2 any good? Is it worth installing? Any reason to prefer
> > > it to Netscape 4.77? How is it different from Mozilla?
> >
> > I'd far and away recommend Galeon.  Mozilla and Konqueror round out the
> > top of the full-featured browser offerings for GNU/Linux.  All three are
> > feature-rich, standards compliant, stable, and extremely useable.
> > Galeon's got polish and an attention to user-friendly detail which
> > simply inspires awe and gratitude.
> >
> > Netscape 4.x is a buggy, standards-busting, festering load of crap.  It
> > was one of the worst things to happen to GNU/Linux -- the browsing
> > experience is one of the more important aspects of personal computing,
> > and we lagged the legacy MS Windows / Mac world for years.  I'd give
> > odds to say we're starting to lead again.
>
> <SIGH/> All browsers suck.

Karsten's Iron Rule of Browsers:  they all suck.

    http://kmself.home.netcom.com/GNU/Linux/FAQs/browsers.html

...but I take it back.  Galeon Kicks Ass®.

> Anything derived from mozilla is a horrible memory hog

46MB currently, with about a dozen tabs open.  Considering a session can
go over 100 tabs (really!), and rarely tops 120 MB, it's reasonably OK.
Memory's cheap.  Galeon _doesn't_ appear to leak the way Netscape 4.x
did.

Peace.