Re: 8 character filenames on msdos floppy

On Sun, Dec 09, 2001 at 10:06:40PM -0800, Karsten M. Self wrote:

| The default order comes from /proc/filesystems.  There, msdos precedes
| msdos.

<grin>.  Obviously a typo :-).  Amusing to consider that possibility
though.

| > > You can specify a preferred order in /etc/filesystems and have it
| > > try vfat first.
| > >
| > I'm sorry to ask, but what package is that from?  It's not on my box
|
|     $ cat /proc/filesystems > /etc/filesystems
|     $ vi /etc/filesystems

$ cat /proc/filesystems
nodev   rootfs
nodev   bdev
nodev   proc
nodev   sockfs
nodev   tmpfs
nodev   shm
nodev   pipefs
        ext3
        ext2
        cramfs
nodev   devfs
nodev   usbdevfs
nodev   autofs

$ cat /etc/filesystems
ext2
vfat
msdos
iso9660

Did I make my /etc/filesystems wrong?  I wasn't aware of
/proc/filesystems when I made /etc/filesystems, and identifying vfat
over msdos works.  (funny how devfs is 'nodev')

Hmm, 'vfat', 'msdos', and 'iso9660' were made as modules.
modprobe-ing them adds them to the list in /proc/filesystems, at the
end (with no options, like "nodev").

Perhaps /proc/filesystems is the default order _if_ /etc/filesystems
doesn't exist?  If I don't have /etc/filesystems, and I don't have the
vfat module loaded, will a vfat disk be identified?  Time to RTFM and
try it out ...

-D

--

The crucible for silver and the furnace for gold,
but the Lord tests the heart.