Re: 8 character filenames on msdos floppy

on Mon, Dec 10, 2001 at 10:31:56AM -0500, dman (dsh8290@rit.edu) wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 09, 2001 at 10:06:40PM -0800, Karsten M. Self wrote:
>
> | The default order comes from /proc/filesystems.  There, msdos precedes
> | msdos.
>
> <grin>.  Obviously a typo :-).  Amusing to consider that possibility
> though.

Each precedes the other ;-)

OK:  msdos precedes vfat.

> | > I'm sorry to ask, but what package is that from?  It's not on my box
> |
> |     $ cat /proc/filesystems > /etc/filesystems
> |     $ vi /etc/filesystems
>
> $ cat /proc/filesystems
> nodev   rootfs
> nodev   bdev
> nodev   proc
> nodev   sockfs
> nodev   tmpfs
> nodev   shm
> nodev   pipefs
>         ext3
>         ext2
>         cramfs
> nodev   devfs
> nodev   usbdevfs
> nodev   autofs
>
> $ cat /etc/filesystems
> ext2
> vfat
> msdos
> iso9660
>

> Did I make my /etc/filesystems wrong?

What modules do you have loaded?  If vfat and msdos are compiled as
modules, they won't appear in /proc/filesystems unless the module's
loaded.

In my case:

    $ lsmod
    Module                  Size  Used by
    minix                  22192   0 (autoclean)
    st                     23752   0 (autoclean)
    nls_cp437               3896   2 (autoclean)
    vfat                    9040   1 (autoclean)
    fat                    29312   1 (autoclean) [vfat]
    tulip                  30180   1
    es1370                 20384   1
    soundcore               2596   4 [es1370]

    $ cat /proc/filesystems
	    ext2
    nodev	proc
    nodev	nfs
	    iso9660
    nodev	autofs
    nodev	devpts
	    vfat
	    minix

...hmm...

I thought I needed msdos in there to mount a vfat filesystem.

OK, maybe I'm wrong on this one then.

> I wasn't aware of /proc/filesystems when I made /etc/filesystems, and
> identifying vfat over msdos works.  (funny how devfs is 'nodev')
>
> Hmm, 'vfat', 'msdos', and 'iso9660' were made as modules.
> modprobe-ing them adds them to the list in /proc/filesystems, at the
> end (with no options, like "nodev").

Yes.  I'm not sure what "nodev" means.

> Perhaps /proc/filesystems is the default order _if_ /etc/filesystems
> doesn't exist?

Yes.  And if /proc isn't mounted, there's a default search order for
the mount command.  Which may be what's tripping us up.

> If I don't have /etc/filesystems, and I don't have the vfat module
> loaded, will a vfat disk be identified?  Time to RTFM and try it out

Peace.