Re: Debian ethernet networking [solved]

----- Original Message -----
From: <lloyder@canada.com>
To: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Saturday, December 08, 2001 11:26 PM
Subject: ipmasq: DENY internet to gateway

> Thank you Tobias, Karsten, and all other debians,
>
> I have me ipmasq pkg and confs back on my potato 2.2r3
> machine, and have been reading ... I am a little
> overwhelmed by how ipmasq works -- previously someone
> suggested it would work "out of box" *harhar*
>
> the default rules are blocking my @home dhcp server,
> so now my gateway can not get on the net...
> msg looks like:
> .... input DENY eth0 PROTO=17 24.xxx.xxx.1:67
> 24.xxx.xxx.151:68 L-365 S=0x00 I=39493 F=0x00000 T=248 (#5)
>
> looking @ 'ipchains -L', I do not have any entry with
> MASQ -- as the HOW-TOs seem to suggest I should
>
> Looking @ 'ipmasq -d', also does not show any MASQ
> rules, although M70masq.def is unmodified & contains
> what appears to be an appropriate rule.
>
> I am not sure how to debug this further.  Am I looking
> @ the rite info?  Any assistance is greatly
> appreciated.  Let me know if you need more info.
> Sorry for no files, but I cannot really get on the
> internet rite, using *sic* MS98.  Please help me shed
> the shackles!

The source of the problem above is a "bug" in
ipmasq pkg, where it does not resolve the
INTERNAL/EXTERNAL properly (and I do not believe I am
creating an "Oddball Networks")
** Karsten M. Self in an unrelated thread gave "the
secret of shell programming" (TM) 'set -x'  Karsten is
the person!  I am very impressed by his/your quality
postings and feedback from etiquette to pretty heavy
technical details -- quantity and quality!

** the "workaround" is well doc'd on the
package maintains web page... ipmasq pkg is a great
pkg! Though, i may see about making some contrib. in
the future vs it.

I was not in the pasture yet... my more significant
problem was my white sheep move of on first install,
uninstalling 'pump' and installing 'dhcpcd'... ipmasq
, makes sense to me now, "setup" in rcS.d and so was
pump (in the rite order), BUT dhcpcd "setup" in rc2.d
... as a dewbie much time and energy spent tracking
this
one down, but I am much better for it ... and have
some grasp on a LOT of new-to-me concepts!

You are all great help,
Lloyd D. Budd