Re: potato 2 woody upgrade diary

Patrick Mahoney <patrick.mahoney@polymtl.ca> writes:

> Howdy,
>
> I just upgraded from potato to woody. As I expected, it didn't go so
> smoothly. Bottom line: X wouldnt start. I went to irc where some guy
> (thanks eeyore!) told me to get xserver-xfree86 package. A quick
> apt-get and it worked.
>
> I have to beleive this is the problem most people sending mails
> concerning X failures after upgrading to 4.x have. Now I wonder... Why
> isnt't this package fetched with the others on a dist-upgrade?

Literally, because no other package says it needs it.  It's suggested
by xserver-common, but not required in case you want to use an
alternative X server.  See /usr/share/doc/xfree86-common for more
information.

If you had used dselect to upgrade, you would have seen the suggestion.

--
Brian Nelson <nelson@bignachos.com>
BigNachos@jabber.org