potato 2 woody upgrade diary

Howdy,

I just upgraded from potato to woody. As I expected, it didn't go so
smoothly. Bottom line: X wouldnt start. I went to irc where some guy
(thanks eeyore!) told me to get xserver-xfree86 package. A quick
apt-get and it worked.

I have to beleive this is the problem most people sending mails
concerning X failures after upgrading to 4.x have. Now I wonder... Why
isnt't this package fetched with the others on a dist-upgrade?

Another problem I had was a boot failure when trying to start xfs. I
avoided the problem but never solved it. I went through the mailing
list archive where I read I had to 1) get the bin backups, 2) fix the
initscript, or 3) use X built-in renderer. There must be an easier
way, no?

Id appreciate getting some feedback on this.
Thanks,

Pat Mahoney, no 22