Re: scsi card compatibility under Debian

First of all, I am stunned to find a site like
http://lhd.datapower.com; so, I thank you very much!  :-)

Now, I also have the /usr/src/linux-2.4/drivers/scsi
directory on my system, because I recently was diligently
re-compiling my kernel for the first time (it worked!
Hooray! :-)

Anyway, there are a lot of cards that are compatible; and I
was wondering, if anyone had some ideas on where to start:
are Adaptec cards a good way to go?  It is fairly easy to
look up cards on eBay with the keywords "scsi adaptec";
this way, I am not overwhelmed with selections.  I will do
a lot of reading to find out which cards are better than
others, etc.; but any ideas would be appreciated.

I am looking for useful, and CHEAP--I am on a fixed income,
and feeling very poor these days ;-) The Hewlett-Packard
website claims that the scanner I have needs a $150 dollar
card; in fact they generously point out the exact card they
want me to buy...the card that came with the scanner, the
Hewlett-Packard card, is useless, they admit, but they
won't do anything about it.  So basically it is a useless
scanner, the way it is shipped.  I think the card would
work with Windows 3.1, but the scanner was purchased when I
was using Windows 95 (and it was supposed to be
compatible),but gave nothing but trouble.  Now, I use
Linux, but of course there's no way to support the stupid
useless card (which was a triangular board with a small
chip on it).

Anyway, I need a scsi card; the scanner is still in superb
condition (but of course, it has never been used...)

So if anyone has a scsi card, I would appreciate if you
would tell me about it, and how it works with Linux.
thanks!

--Mark Seven Smith
pampaluz@home.com