Re: USB printer port (HP PSC 750)

On Sun, 2001-12-09 at 12:54, Pedro Quaresma de Almeida wrote:
> Michael Heldebrant writes:
>  > On Sun, 2001-12-09 at 11:26, Pedro Quaresma de Almeida wrote:
>  > > Michael Heldebrant writes:
>  > >  > On Sat, 2001-12-08 at 15:33, Pedro Quaresma de Almeida wrote:
>  > >  > > Hi
>  > >  > >
>  > >  > > I am trying to use my HP PSC 750 connected via USB.
>  > >  > >
>  > >  > > My kernel is "Linux Fenix 2.2.18pre21"
>  > >  > >
>  > >  > > The dmesg command gives
>  > >  > >
>  > >  > > ...
>  >
>  > Have you tried just cat dmesg or something similar directly to
>  > /dev/usblp0 to see if the printer is working?  If you get printing from
>  > this then . . .
>
> I did now... nothing happens :(
>

> I am trying now in my laptop (HP OmniBook XE, Debian 2.4.4) and when I
> connect the printer I get:
>
>  hub.c: USB new device connect on bus1/1, assigned device number 4
>  printer.c: usblp0: device node registration failed
>  printer.c: usblp0: USB Bidirectional printer dev 4 if 0 alt 0
>
> "device node registration failed" :(
>
> what will be the problem?

Hmmm.  As I said I'm no usb expert ...

I poked around for a bit and came up with some "interesting" things
here:

<stream of stuff from google>

www.linuxprinting.org lists your printer and suggests using another
driver, the hpijs driver for Ghostscript from hp which can be had at:
http://hpinkjet.sourceforge.net/

I don't think that's your problem at the moment.  The forums list this
usefull information:

I'd compile the lp as a module as well as the parport services.  Add
this into your modutils directory in a file called printing or
something.  Then run update-modules

alias     /dev/usblp*              lp
options lp proto_bias=3

modprobing lp or trying to access the usblp device should load the
module.  The proto_bias may be specific to the driver from hp (below).

Some people are talking about getting custom printer.c files from hp
(I'm not sure if this is the correct solution though.

> So I went back to the HPOJ site and look at bugs/todo :
> I download the latest CVS hpoj version and take the new printer.c file
> compile ok with gcc-3.0.2
> make modules modules_install for the printer.c
> add options printer proto_bias=3 in modules.conf

</stream>

I'd say ignore all the disjointed junk I pulled from google above.  I
think all of the above will be explained by a carefull look at:

http://hpoj.sourceforge.net/

especially the documentation on how to get this working by installing
their software.  At this point I'll leave it to you since I don't use
usb, or multifunction printer devices at all and I'm tapped out.

--mike