SSH Security Upgrade Causes Problems (potato) was: Why might sshd have simply stopped?

Hello,

Having installed last week's ssh security patches last night, I now am
having severe problems talking to other ssh clients, with very slow
transfer rates and high latencies.

here are the specific versions (one on irix) where I am having
troubles with the potato upgrade:

debug1: Remote protocol version 1.5, remote software version OpenSSH-1.2.3
debug1: match: OpenSSH-1.2.3 pat ^OpenSSH
debug1: Local version string SSH-1.5-OpenSSH_2.9.9p2

worked like a charm before this.

nathan