No functional xterm access from "testing" KDE

I've had this problem now for some time.  I seem to have gotten beyond
some other problems which makes me think that something in this
configuration is just left out.  There is an icon of a terminal partly
covered by something green but it doesn't bring up an Xterm at all.  I
also see no access to netscape, nor changing the window managers.
Whatever this is, it's a real dead end for being able to do anything.

Also, I still never got an answer to my question of weeks ago about how
to change the window manager by editing a configuration file.  Doesn't
anybody know this?  Is it really that complex just to switch window
managers?
--
http://www.eskimo.com/~xeno
xeno@eskimo.com