Re: how to save my setting of window maker

"Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com> writes:

> on Sat, Dec 08, 2001 at 12:07:19PM -0800, Brian Nelson (nelson@bignachos.com) wrote:
> > Theoretically, that should work, but wmaker rarely seems to save the
> > window positions and attributes correctly for me.  It completely
> > ignores emacs windows, doesn't save the omnipresent attribute, etc.,
> > not to mention all the cpu usage bugs that have been appearing lately.
> > I'm really becoming disenchanted with wmaker.
> >
> > There's no problem with this guy's box; wmaker just sucks.
>
> Them's fightin' words.
>
> Hmmm...not my experience at all.  Then again, I don't do much in the way
> of saving session state (I open two terminals, that's it), or mucking
> with window preferences, though the settings I've configured through
> the window commands "Attributes" tab seem to stick.
>
> I'm running WindowMaker 0.70.1, the latest available appears to be
> 0.70.2.  There are a few notes of bugs on the mailing list (I monitor it
> but only read every few weeks), particularly just after the 0.70 release
> (libProbList deps removed), but my experience is that it works pretty
> darned well.  Considering a typical session might stay up for months,
> that's not too bad.
>
> Could you point to references for the bugs you're seeing?

This one's really annoying:
http://bugs.debian.org/118368

and I think this one bites me as well:
http://bugs.debian.org/108903

There's probably about 100 bug reports in the BTS filed against
wmaker, which is pretty poor for a relatively simplistic window
manager.  Looking at that second bug report, there's some
brain-damaged coding going on.

--
Brian Nelson <nelson@bignachos.com>
BigNachos@jabber.org