Re: how to save my setting of window maker

on Sat, Dec 08, 2001 at 12:07:19PM -0800, Brian Nelson (nelson@bignachos.com) wrote:
> "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com> writes:
>
> > on Fri, Dec 07, 2001 at 05:57:39PM +0800, Yu (raycherng@ms39.url.com.tw) wrote:
> > > I set an icon of mozilla and rxvt on the right dock of my desktop on my
> > > woody box and then I disable the "keep on top" option but when I
> > > reboot ,window maker didn't remenber my setting and return to the
> > > origin setting What's wrong with my debian box , is there any
> > > suggestion thanks
> >
> > In the root applications menu, Workspaces => Save Session.
> >
> > This will save your current session state.
> >
> > Using WPrefs, you can explicitly request WindowMaker save session on
> > exit.
>
> Theoretically, that should work, but wmaker rarely seems to save the
> window positions and attributes correctly for me.  It completely
> ignores emacs windows, doesn't save the omnipresent attribute, etc.,
> not to mention all the cpu usage bugs that have been appearing lately.
> I'm really becoming disenchanted with wmaker.
>
> There's no problem with this guy's box; wmaker just sucks.

Them's fightin' words.

Hmmm...not my experience at all.  Then again, I don't do much in the way
of saving session state (I open two terminals, that's it), or mucking
with window preferences, though the settings I've configured through
the window commands "Attributes" tab seem to stick.

I'm running WindowMaker 0.70.1, the latest available appears to be
0.70.2.  There are a few notes of bugs on the mailing list (I monitor it
but only read every few weeks), particularly just after the 0.70 release
(libProbList deps removed), but my experience is that it works pretty
darned well.  Considering a typical session might stay up for months,
that's not too bad.

Could you point to references for the bugs you're seeing?

Peace.