Galeon browsing habits (was Re: Netscape 6.2)

on Sat, Dec 08, 2001 at 10:27:51PM -0500, Hall Stevenson (hallstevenson@mindspring.com) wrote:
> * Karsten M. Self (kmself@ix.netcom.com) [011208 20:02]:
> >
> > ...Considering a session can go over 100 tabs (really!), and rarely
> > tops 120 MB, it's reasonably OK...
>
> I'd suggest that when you're done reading a page, that you close it's
> tab !! <g>

I usually do, eventually.  100 tabs is on the high side, typical session
might be closer to 30-40 most times.  Depends on whether I'm actively
researching something.

This is actually a good excuse to point to one of the features I
*really* like about Galeon.  It makes very efficient use of my two most
significant resources:  time, and bandwidth.

My reading style is as follows.  Partially driven by the fact I've got a
56k connection (mediated by a squid proxy).

  - Kick open my news bookmarks.  These are on my bookmarks bar, a
    middle click gives me "open all in tabs".  That's about 17 sites.

  - Kick open my favorite forum(s) sites in another browser window (tabs
    + windows is a *great* UI model).  Two or three that I track
    extensively.  Log in and check topics.

  - As pages start to load, select additional items of interest -- news
    stories and forum topics, again, opening in tabs.

  - If I'm researching something else, a Google window, with links
    opened in tabs.

By this point, I'm getting up around 40, 60, 100 pages, most of which
are now loaded, arranged in, say, three to five windows.  I start going
through and reading the content, closing windows as I roll.  Point is
that the tabbed browsing option lets me cover a bunch of material
relatively quickly.  Yes, it takes a while for *everything* to load, but
*something* is going to load reasonably quickly.  I can surf through it
while waiting for the rest to come on down.  Makes efficient use of my
time.  And it's a mode of use *very* well supported by Galeon.

Right now I've got about 20 tabs open in three windows, checking news,
and looking at job and apartment postings.  Anyone need a techslave /
roomie (and cat) in the SF Bay Area or outlying?  ;-)

Peace.