Re: Netscape 6.2

* Karsten M. Self (kmself@ix.netcom.com) spake thusly:
> on Sat, Dec 08, 2001 at 12:34:25AM -0500, Alec (alec1976nyc@yahoo.com) wrote:
>
> > Is Netscape 6.2 any good? Is it worth installing? Any reason to prefer
> > it to Netscape 4.77? How is it different from Mozilla?
>
> I'd far and away recommend Galeon.  Mozilla and Konqueror round out the
> top of the full-featured browser offerings for GNU/Linux.  All three are
> feature-rich, standards compliant, stable, and extremely useable.
> Galeon's got polish and an attention to user-friendly detail which
> simply inspires awe and gratitude.
>
> Netscape 4.x is a buggy, standards-busting, festering load of crap.  It
> was one of the worst things to happen to GNU/Linux -- the browsing
> experience is one of the more important aspects of personal computing,
> and we lagged the legacy MS Windows / Mac world for years.  I'd give
> odds to say we're starting to lead again.

<SIGH/> All browsers suck. Konqueror on my woody box is incapable
of displaying GIF89a's, Netscape 6.x has problems displaying some
CSS + tables pages (as in "some parts of the page are simply not
there"). Anything derived from mozilla is a horrible memory hog
(when used with another memory hog -- Forte -- they can easily
bring your box down to its knees), and Netscape 4.x leaves behind
runaway processes that have to be tracked down and killed every
week or so -- otherwise the box becomes unusable...
Is there IE for Linux?

Dima
--
The wombat is a mixture of chalk and clay used for respiration.      -- MegaHal