Re: A few more questions

On Thu, Dec 06, 2001 at 07:23:44PM -0700, robinder bains wrote:
| On Thu, 2001-12-06 at 18:47, dman wrote:
| > On Thu, Dec 06, 2001 at 06:37:56PM -0700, robinder bains wrote:
| > |
| > |  I'm using debian woody...
| > |
| > |  1. How do I get sound to work in gnome? I have AC'97 sound chip and I
| > | get an error when I try to play mp3's in XMMS
| >
| > What's the error?
|
|  couldn't open audio
|
|  Please check that:
| 1. You have the correct output plugin selected
| 2. No other programs is blocking the soundcard
| 3. Your soundcard is configured properly

You probably have the OSS output plugin selected.  Instead use the
eSound one.  Here's the core of the problem: the sound card is (like
all devices) presented as a file (/dev/dsp usually).  This makes it
quite easy to play sounds, simply open the file and write the data to
it.  The kernel handles the hardware itself.  But now you have a
problem - you want both xmms _and_ something else to play sounds at
the same time.  How can you do this?  Only one process can have the
device at any given time.  The solution is esound (aka esd).  It is a
daemon process that controls the sound card.  Now applictations that
want to play a sound don't open /dev/dsp, but instead request that
esound play the sound.  Esound then takes all the request and combines
them into a single wave and writes it out /dev/dsp.  The GNOME desktop
uses sounds so that gnome itself (and/or my wm) can play sounds for
animations and the like, everybuddy uses it (an AIM+ client), and XMMS
needs to be told to use it.  Then they can all share and get along.

| > |  2. How do I stop gpm from loading at start up? When I kill gpm my mouse
| > | works fine in X Window System.
| >
| > Edit /etc/X11/XF86Config and tell it to use /dev/gpmdata instead of
| > /dev/psaux (or whatever).  Be sure that /etc/gpm.conf specifies "raw"
| > for repeat type and that both programs are set to use the same
| > protocol (ex imps2 for gpm and IMPS/2 for X).
|
|  Do I put imps2 after type=?

Yep.

| > |  3. How do I make evolution my default email program in gnome?
| >
| > Run evolution instead of mutt when you want to read/send mail?  I'm
| > not sure what you mean by this question.
|
|  When I click on an email link in galeon, I wan't it to open evolution,
| I've seen this work in mandrake 8.1. When I click on an email link now,
| I get this error
|
|  Galeon cannot handle this protocol,
|  and no GNOME default handler is set

Ahh, I see.  I don't click on mailto: links, I just copy-paste it into
the term that has mutt open.  What you want to do is open up the
control center (that toolbox on your panel) and go to the Mime
Handlers section.  In there add a handler for the mail links.  I guess
you'd need to figure out the MIME type of the link first.

HTH,
-D

--

It took the computational power of three Commodore 64s to fly to the moon.
It takes at least a 486 to run Windows 95.