Re: UPS software

Mark,

I have a APC SmartUPS 1000Net and 1250 and both have served me very
well.  While APC used to not release any drivers (actually more like
software than kernel drivers) for linux, they now not only release
software, they do so (for much of it at least) under the GPL.  Please
see:

http://www.apcc.com/go/machine/partners/open_source.cfm

(They're even kind enough not to make you register...  They say:
"Download requires registration. If you are not comfortable
registering to download the...source code, enter user id: opensource
and password: opensource on the subsequent login page.)

Also here's their main powerchute software (don't run it, try debian
package 'nut' instead, so I don't know how redhat specific it is,
although this version must be easier than the specific RPM one.):

ftp://ftp.apcftp.com/software/unix/linux/pcplus/453/pcplus_453_redhat.tar

If that ftp doesn't work, try the main link to this software:
http://www.apc.com/tools/download/sw_kit.cfm?sku=sdw64

I don't know anything about Best to recommend for or against, but as
far as where to get very good quality refurbished UPS's (with NEW
batteries), I've had great success with PEI at www.4ups.net (they're
also at 4ups.com, but that website is more annoying).  Standard
Disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with PEI in any way.

Hope this helps and take care,

Daniel

--
Daniel A. Freedman
Laboratory for Atomic and Solid State Physics