Why might sshd have simply stopped?

Greetings-

This morning I could suddenly not ssh into my office machine from
home. When I came into the office, I tried and couldn't even ssh into
localhost from it. ps ax showed no sshd running. /etc/init.d/ssh start
solved the problem, but I'm left wondering (and worrying) about what might
have made it stop. The machine has not been restarted in ages.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Andrew J Perrin - andrew_perrin@unc.edu - http://www.unc.edu/~aperrin
      269 Hamilton Hall, CB#3210, Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3210 USA