Re: Mutt and filtering to multiple mailboxes

On Wed, Dec 05, 2001 at 10:20:12PM -0500, Eric Brooks wrote:
| Hi.  I use Mutt as my mail client. I am trying to set it up so that
| messages from the lists to which I subscribe get moved from my mail
| spool file to a specific mailbox for storage after reading, filtered out
| from the general mail stream. Right now all my mail goes to 'mbox' -- I
| would like the debian-user mail to go to ~/.mutt/debian-user.

I suggest ~/Mail/debian-user instead.  dotfiles are usually used for
configuration, not general data storage.

| I set up mbox-hook records in my mutt environment as follows:
|
| mbox-hook debian-user@lists.debian.org ~/.mutt/debian-user
|
| I am not an Emacs user much, I use vi more, and I'm not that familiar
| with the 'hook' idea, so I am not sure I'm understanding the effect that
| I should expect from the mbox-hook record correctly. Should the
| mbox-hook command have the effect I describe above?  If so, is there

I don't know if that command is supposed to do what you want, but I
can describe the general concept of a "hook" (btw I'm a vim user too).

A "hook" is a way for you to specify some action to occur when a given
event occurs.  It allows for general customization rather than
specific customization.  There are "events" in mutt, such as 'mbox'
and 'folder', that allow to you hook an action into them with
'mbox-hook' or 'folder-hook'.

HTH,
-D

--

If we claim we have not sinned, we make Him out to be a liar and His
Word has no place in our lives.