tape drive problem

Hi --

I can't access use my tape drive with the tar or mt
programs and could use some help.

I'm running a 2.4.12 kernel and using a SCSI Seagate
DDS3 tape drive. The drive appears to be recognized
fine on bootup (by looking at dmesg) and the relevant
modules are loaded -- st and scsi_mod. The power is on
and there's a tape in the drive.

When I type any mt command, using either /dev/st0 or
/dev/nst0, I get a notice of an input/output error
and, sometimes, "mt: The device is offline (not
powered on, no tape ?)." Likewise, with tar, any
attempt to write to either /dev/st0 or /dev/nst0 craps
out.

Any suggestions? I've never used a tape drive before
so I have no clue. Thanks.

Richard