Re: getting kde desktop with xterm

On Wed, Dec 05, 2001 at 03:20:20PM +1000, Jason Currey wrote:
> I am running kde on my machine and I can successfully telnet to other
> machines.
>
> I can then successfully run up an xterm
>
> export DISPLAY='mymachine':0.0
> xterm
>
> and run kde applications
>
> konqueror
>
> however I want to be able to get the remote desktop in a single kde frame.
> Does anyone know how to do this?
>
> NB. I tried kde2 and got very strange results.

I think vncviewer will do the "single kde frame" if it means in a ordinary
window. But if you want kde to take over the x-session as if you were running
it locally, I know its easy:

0. use ssh rather than telnet.

1. start x, or log in to x, with no window manager. try xinit rather than
startx or login to a "fail-safe session".

2. do ssh -c blowfish -X <remote.host>
the "-C" option might prove faster, depending on the connection/cpu:s.

3. try startkde or whatever the kde init script is called.

That should give you the same kde behaviour as if were locally logged in to
remote.host (with the possible exception of different screen resolution,
fonts available to the X-server, different keyboards/mice etc). Perhaps,
it is not what you wanted though.

/Hans Ekbrand