Re: global environment variables?

Sorry, but i do not aggree with you. /etc/environment is not specific to
the Xsession, but to the PAM-module pam_env; p.empl. the line

auth       required   pam_env.so

inside /etc/pam.d/login enforces the evaluation of this file during
every login into the session. by adding a similar line to
/etc/pam.d/sudo for example, you can adopt this treatment for the
execution of commands as another user via sudo, too. this is very
usefull for daemons, because their init-scripts often use sudo for
switching to lower-priviledged users like nobody or www-data.

hope this helps

cu! christian

On Sun, Dec 02, 2001 at 04:22:19PM -0800, Craig Dickson wrote:
> nemo@cheeky.house.cx wrote:
>
> > I put "FOO=blah" in /etc/environment and restarted crond, then I setup a
> > small script executed from cron which simply did `echo $FOO`
> >
> > Result? nope. I'm afraid /etc/environment isn't that global.
>
> AFAIK, crond has nothing to do with /etc/environment. That file is read
> by the X session startup scripts when you login. So the right test would
> have been to set FOO=something in /etc/environment, then logout and login
> again.
>
> How this relates to non-graphical logins, or even non-gdm logins, I do
> not know.
>
> Craig
>

> --

-------------------------