Building Samba 2.2.2 on Potato (SWAT problems)

Hello all,
    I'm trying to build Samba 2.2.2 on Potato (I need the pdc functions
for a demonstration of Linux replacing Win NT/2K), but I keep running
into a problem. I cannot get SWAT to authenticate any users to log in.
    I know that there is no problem with the user name and password,
because I can access the shares using them.

    I used the following command to configure the install:
configure --mandir=/usr/local/man --with-acl-support

    I used the following to build and install Samba:

make
make install /* as root */

    I added the lines for SWAT into the "inetd.conf" file for nmbd, smbd
and SWAT and made sure the appropriate lines existed in "services"
    So far the only way I have been able to get SWAT to work is to start
it with the "-a" option in "inetd.conf"

    The smb.conf file is as follows:

[global]
        workgroup = HOME
        server string = %h server (Samba %v)
        encrypt passwords = Yes

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        read only = No
        create mask = 0700
        directory mask = 0700
        browseable = No

    Does anybody now what I'm doing wrong? I've tried the configure
command with and without any options and still get the same problem. If
anybody can give me a hand at solving this I would be most thankful.
    Oh yes.... This potato is completely stock, no testing or unstable
packages, kernel 2.2.18pre21. MD5 and shadow password enabled.

TIA
    Bill