Re: global environment variables?

Craig Dickson <crdic@yahoo.com> writes:

> Having poked around the system a bit for similar purposes, I find the
> following files to be useful in getting environment variables visible
> more or less globally:
>
> /etc/profile
> /etc/environment
> /etc/gdm/gdm.conf
> /etc/gdm/Sessions/Gnome
>
> Presumably there are equivalent files available for other login
> managers.

For sessions that use pam modules for authentication, there's also:
  /etc/security/pam_env

(and make sure that
  auth  required        pam_env.so
 is in the pam modules you use when logging in (login, gdm ,etc))

It appears that the cron daemon also uses a pam module, so this might
actually be a solution to the original question about setting
http_proxy etc for cron as well as ordinary login session. Not tried
this aspect of it myself though...

--

  Gilbert Laycock                 email:          gtl1@mcs.le.ac.uk
  Maths and Computer Science,     http://www.mcs.le.ac.uk/~glaycock