Re: global environment variables?

dman wrote:

> What Nemo and I are looking for is a way to set the environment for
> apps run via the panel (that don't have a login shell).

What process starts the panel? Isn't there a login shell somewhere at
the root of all the processes that get started for you at login time? I
would think if you could set a variable in that shell, and export it,
then it should still be visible to processes launched by the panel.

Having poked around the system a bit for similar purposes, I find the
following files to be useful in getting environment variables visible
more or less globally:

/etc/profile
/etc/environment
/etc/gdm/gdm.conf
/etc/gdm/Sessions/Gnome

Presumably there are equivalent files available for other login
managers.

I don't know offhand how you could make a variable visible to all cron
jobs globally. There is a basic problem there, that each user has his
own crontab file, and can set or override variables as he pleases.

Craig