Re: Resolved: Debian woody with Openoffice. Can not install

--- "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> on Sun, Dec 02, 2001 at 09:30:09AM -0800, George
> Dancheff (linlists@yahoo.com) wrote:
> >
> > --- "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com>
> wrote:
> > > on Sun, Dec 02, 2001 at 01:00:57PM +1100, Steve
> Kieu

> says:

> > > I don't know a solution, I can only confirm the
> bug.
> > >
> > > OpenOffice is particularly poor at documenting
> known issues with
> > > particular builds.  Discouraging as these are 10
> hour downloads for
> > > me (56k modem).  I've discussed the issue with
> Brian Behlendorf in
> > > the past.
> >
> > first try :
> >
> > apt-get install libgpcl0
> >
> > then try to install OpenOffice again
>
> That fixes it.
expected!
I guess the next time Steve Kuie will first listen to
the people, then blame the OpenOffice.org!
Yes OO is not documented as it has to be, but there
are some nice tips on the net if one wants to do his
best to install and work with OO. Here is one related
to the Debian:

http://www.linuxtoday.org/news_story.php3?ltsn=2001-10-10-014-20-PS-DB-HL

 I don't know why OO depends so tight on libgpcl0
(non-free  general polygon clipper library found in
testing & unstable) and the the fact that it is
packaged separately and not get install on a regular
debian system by default is a little problem. And when
the people see OO setup report that glibc-2.2.4 are
fould on that system and brake then the easyest way is
to blame libc or OO instead of trying to find what is
going on with some toolz like ldd, strace, etc. It is
always much much easier to bother the upstream
developers.

Sorry for being so bad bad boy
Hope you enjoy the work with OO!