Re: global environment variables?

nemo@cheeky.house.cx wrote:
> However, in my case, I specifically WANT to set that global variable.
> For the curious, it's http_proxy and ftp_proxy that I want set - my ISP
> enforces use of a proxy server for http, and encourages it for ftp.
> Without this set, *anything* that tries to talk out on port 80 is gonna
> fail.
>
> I don't want to have to set this in a myriad of places for various system
> components, and have to remember to keep them all up to date with software
> updates and new system components. (I also don't want to have to reset
> all this if, for some reason, I need to *change* the proxy server...

  IIRC there is a way to make this transparent to applications, check
the docs (don't remember which, try how-to's on NAT and related kernel
functions, proxy or something like that).

  that way your apps wouldn't have to care about proxy, they would go
staight to port 80 but it would be redirected to proxy (by kernel).

	erik