Re: Another off-topic -- EXT3 question

On Sun, Dec 02, 2001 at 02:04:40AM -0800, Karsten M. Self wrote:
| on Sat, Dec 01, 2001 at 08:53:16PM -0500, dman (dsh8290@rit.edu) wrote:
| > On Sat, Dec 01, 2001 at 05:47:03PM -0800, Karsten M. Self wrote:
| >
| > | I discourage the practice of mounting system partitions with type
| > | 'auto'.  Specify what you want.  If you get it, great, if you don't, fix
| > | the problem.
| >
| > Sure, for hard disks.  For floppies I like the 'auto' option.
|
| Typically, floppies aren't system partitions.

Err, yeah, I missed that adjective.

| > Then I don't have to worry about it being ext2, vfat, msdos, or
| > whatever.  Say, do you have any recommendations for a fs that is well
| > suited for floppies?
|
| Depends on the situation.
|
|   - msdos &/or vfat is widely supported across platforms.
|
|   - minix provides a linux-like filesystem, with file attributes, but
|     isn't supported on non-GNU/Linux systems, and may not be supported
|     on all GNU/Linux systems.
|
|   - Other FSs exist, including some lightweight, but relatively
|     full-features FSs.  ext2fs generally requires too much overhead for
|     the 1.4 MB capacity of a floppy.

Thanks for the data.

| > I seem to recall some issues with floppies and the UID mkfs.ext2 ran
| > as.
|
| No data.

I think what has happened to me before is if root makes the fs, then
only root can read the disk later (makes sense because the UID in the
inodes would be 0).

-D

--

"...In the UNIX world, people tend to interpret `non-technical user' as
meaning someone who's only ever written one device driver."