Re: NIC and LAN setup

On Sun, Dec 02, 2001 at 01:36:39PM -0800, Paul E Condon wrote:
| I am Debian newbie. I have a LAN that was running and is now in need of
| reconstruction. On the LAN were two Linux boxes and two Macs. The Linux
| box that provided internet access via ppp has a Netgear fa311 NIC. This
| card is not supported by potato. I have obtained another NIC, a Linksys
| LNE100TX, which uses a DEC tulip chip and should be useable with potato.
| I would like to do just what is needed to configure the potato machine
| for this card and for LAN networking. I would like to avoid simply
| running through the complete install process for just this one change
| (and the consequent configuring of a network interface). How can I do
| this?

You can either use the 'modconf' program to set up the tulip module
(now and for reloading the next time you boot), or you can use and
editor and add the line
    tulip
to /etc/modules and
    alias eth0 tulip
to a file of your choosing in /etc/modutils (I like
/etc/modutils/my-custom) and run 'update-modules'.

I have 2 of these linksys cards and they work great.  I have heard,
though, that the newer cards might not work with older version of the
tulip driver.  One of my cards is Rev2.0 and has worked since the
early 2.2 kernels, or maybe even 2.0.36 (I don't remember if I tried
networking with RH5.2 or not).  The other is Rev4.0 (or 4.1) and has
only been used with kernel 2.4 (I think I upgraded before I got the
card, if not then it works with 2.2.19).

HTH,
-D

--

"Don't use C;  In my opinion,  C is a library programming language
 not an app programming language."  - Owen Taylor (GTK+ developer)