Re: Newbie comments & queries

On Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 12:13:50AM +0200, Ian Balchin wrote:
| OK, OK, OK,
|
| I _am_  reading the modem-HOWTO and the wvdial README right now.
|
| I can see this is a complex subject.
|
| I have installed minicom but can only run from root.  When run from user
| I get:
|
| minicom cannot open /dev/ttyS1: permission denied

$ ls -l /dev/ttyS1
crw-rw----    1 root     dialout    4,  65 Dec 31  1969 /dev/ttyS1

Only root and members of the 'dialout' group have access to that
device.  Add your user to the dialout group to solve this.
 From man adduser :

# adduser <me> dialout

-D

--

"...In the UNIX world, people tend to interpret `non-technical user' as
meaning someone who's only ever written one device driver."