Re: NIC and LAN setup

On Sun, 2001-12-02 at 15:36, Paul E Condon wrote:
> I am Debian newbie. I have a LAN that was running and is now in need of
> reconstruction. On the LAN were two Linux boxes and two Macs. The Linux
> box that provided internet access via ppp has a Netgear fa311 NIC. This
> card is not supported by potato. I have obtained another NIC, a Linksys
> LNE100TX, which uses a DEC tulip chip and should be useable with potato.
> I would like to do just what is needed to configure the potato machine
> for this card and for LAN networking. I would like to avoid simply
> running through the complete install process for just this one change
> (and the consequent configuring of a network interface). How can I do
> this?

You should already have the module for the tulip in your
/lib/modules/your-kernel-version/net directory.  Adding tulip to
/etc/modules will load it on boot for you.  Modprobe tulip as root
should load it and respond appropriately.

If you can't find it:

Compile the tulip module from the appropriate kernel sources and install
the module.  You're going to need to bascially copy your .config file
from your running kernel, should be in /boot into the source directory
then make sure libncurses5-dev or 4 is installed and make menuconfig or
go with the xconfig route (has it's own dependencies tcl/tk etc) to get
the tulip module selected.  Then just make dep make modules and make
modules_install.  If you're going this far you should also look into
make-kpkg and building your own custom kenels which debian can handle as
a package.

--mike