Re: GTK+(?) font sizes insanity

On Sun, 2001-12-02 at 14:47, Paul E Condon wrote:
> I guess I am not actually running gnome. I have a windowing
environment, but not a
> "panel" at the bottom of the screen, as I did have when I was using
RedHat. How do I
> determine what windowing environment I have and how do I change it.
dselect says I
> have already downloaded the gnome stuff, but it appears that something
else is what I
> have running.

You're going to need to have something like gnome-session installed (at
least for the way I do things) and place the command:

exec gnome-session

in your .xsession file.

Once gnome-session is running it will take care of loading the window
manager of your choice (in the control center) and the panel as well as
other gnome components and save and reload them as neccessary between
sessions.

ls -al /etc/alternatives/x-window-manager will tell you the default
window manager for the system but you could run your own.  ps aux while
X is running will tell you what window managers are running on the
system, typicals are blackbox, sawfish, enlightenment, fvwm, wmaker.
apt-cache search "window manager" should show everything you could have
installed.

--mike