ESD/esdctl problems

I am having some troubles with ESD (0.2.23-2 from unstable). I am running
Gnome 1.4 (can give versions of gnome packages if necessary).

First of all, sometimes ESD seems to freeze and toasts my running X
session until I kill ESD. This sucks, because I lose any events configured
to play sound. (When I tried to use `esdctl off` in this situation, it
just hung)

Secondly, sometimes when I exit my X session (using the Gnome logout
button), ESD doesn't die. I have to manually kill -9 it or I can't log in
to Gnome and start a complete session.

Thirdly (and lastly), I am having trouble using esdctl to turn off the
sound server. I want to play Quake3, but it does not mesh well with ESD.
So, my plan was to use `esdctl off`. After installing a fresh
kernel-image-2.4.14 and logging in, the first time I used `esdctl off`, it
paused for a minute, then returned me to a prompt. I was able to start
Quake and use sound with no problems. When I was done, I returned with
`esdctl on`, which brought back my sounds. The problem happened when I
tried again -- `esdctl off` did not have a pause and Quake3 reported
/dev/dsp was busy. I used `lsof | grep dsp` and nothing came up, `esdctl
standbymode` reported 'off'.

Hardware: Intel i815EEA motherboard, onboard sound (uses the i810_audio
module), kernel 2.4.14 (also happened with 2.4.5). Another of my users has
the exact same problem with the exact same hardware.

Any ideas are appreciated.

-nicole