Re: Mail - reasons for trying the fetchmail/procmail/mutt route

* John Patton (patton66@home.com) [011129 16:56]:
> On Thu, Nov 29, 2001 at 04:08:34PM -0400, cmasters wrote:
> > The problem with this is that often, I have 300+ emails to then sort through
> > one by one. I imnagine I could use those nifty 'save/send/folder ...' hooks
> > for processing of mail ~after~ I've recieved it, but I'd like to be able to
> > read mail from 'debian-user','blah@yahoogroups.com','xfce@moongroups...' all
> > in their own folders, which I can then ~delete~ specific messages from.
>
> I don't know what getmail does, but fetchmail will gather your mail
> from your ISP and will send it straight to exim (or sendmail, etc) for

getmail grabs mail from a pop server and reliably (and I mean reliably)
delivers it to a local maildir, mailbox, or mda. The config file is much
nicer (no parsing of english-like sentences; just plain old name=value
style config). It doesn't require you to have an MTA running for local
delivery, and it just doesn't lose mail. We've all gotten ourselves into
trouble at one point or another with fetchmail, but getmail is much
simpler, mostly because you don't have to worry about strange
interactions with MTAs when troubleshooting.

</blatant plug>

No, seriously, though, it rocks. And it's also trivial to get it to
deliver to procmail by default:

postmaster="|/usr/bin/procmail"

Personally, I use postmaster="|/usr/bin/maildrop", which again,
surpasses the "standard" procmail both in terms of readibility and
manageability of config files and reliability. I found that procmail
sometimes exited with a -1 status even after delivering successfully.
Worse still, I've heard other complaints of it exiting with 0 status
when failing a delivery! (though I haven't any evidence of this actually
happening to me). The getmail/maildrop combo has been working flawlessly
for me since I switched, and I urge anyone having troubles with
randomly-dying fetchmail "daemons" or poring over munged headers trying
to figure out why mail is bouncing or looping to switch over. Sure,
everyone else is using fetchmail and procmail, but you won't need to ask
everyone's help (though if you do need help, don't hesitate to ask!) to
set up getmail and maildrop. (And of course, we all know that if you're
reading this list, you're not really interested in what "everyone else"
is running anyway -- just what works).

good times,

Vineet

--
Satan laughs when      #  "I disapprove of what you say, but I will
we kill each other.    #   defend to the death your right to say it."