Re: Thoughts on RTFM

* Alan Shutko (ats@acm.org) wrote:
<SNIP>
> It's likely that their situation is not identical to yours.  Some
> people learn better in this way than others.  When I began learning
> Linux, I simply read all the available documentation and pieced things
> together where I could.  In fact, I'd read all the available howtos
> before I even installed Linux, because I hadn't yet gotten my machine.
> (I did the same thing with C, for a similar reason.)
>
> I do well at this sort of thing: taking large quantities of material
> and putting things together.  It's hard for me to explain things in a
> clear and linear fashion, because understanding came for me in an
> instant of connecting seven different things, and I have trouble
> expressing myself in other ways.
>
> I don't want to sit here and say "I am better than you" but more "I am
> different from you, and your experiences are important."  You are much
> better situated to identify and correct problems with documentation so
> that others who learn things as you do can benefit.  It's hard to do
> so, but very worthwhile.
<SNIP>

Hi Alan.

It's always nice to read a positive and helpful reply in such a thread.
I commend you for your clarity and understanding on these points, and
wish more people responded this way.

I've certainly had my share of flailings in my computer adventures ;)

Cheers,
Mike Pfleger
pfleger@pfleger-precision.com
(250) 479-0321