Re: squid or masqueradeing?

On Thu, Nov 29, 2001 at 02:32:00PM +1000, mdevin@ozemail.com.au wrote:
| I have an iptables firewall running on my linux box connected to the
| internet with a standard dialup ppp link.  Now I have just connected
| another debian box and a windows98 box to this firewall box.

| Now I am a little confused as to how to proceed next.  What I want to do
| is allow web browsing from the windows98 box on the LAN.
|
| What is the best way to do this?  Do I need squid installed on the
| firewall box and then tell the windows98 box to use it as a proxy?  Or
| do I need to setup masquerading (?NAT) in my iptables firewall to allow
| web browsing traffic?
|
| According to what I have been reading, you can go either way?  Is this
| true?

I have a DSL connection, so I just have masquerading.  I allow a
win95, win98, and winMe box in addition to my debian to access the
internet (whatever) via masquerading.  Since the connection is wide
enough, there is no performance hit (that I can see) even though each
machine may download the same page independently.

Since you only have a dial-up connection I would recommend installing
squid just to get the caching and the performance improvement that
will bring.

| I am confused?

Are you? ;-)

-D

--

It took the computational power of three Commodore 64s to fly to the moon.
It takes at least a 486 to run Windows 95.