Re: Further thoughts - exim possible culprit?

On Thu, Nov 29, 2001 at 03:40:04PM -0400, cmasters wrote:
| Greetings,
|
| After sending out my last posting on email problems, I thought of checking
| my exim.conf. I hadn't done this before, as I understood that the process
| was fetchmail -> procmail -> mutt. Maybe it isn't so.

It is fetchmail -> mda -> <rest of delivery chain>.

On my system it is fetchmail -> exim -> procmail.

| Anywho, assuming that exim sits between fetchmail and procmail, I have some

Yep.

| questions about how values in exims conf may be interrupting the flow:

You should have exim set up as "smarthost relay with local delivery"
(this is an option in eximconfig).
>From your other messages it seems that exim isn't being given the mail
correctly.  Could you post a snippet of your syslog showing the
rejected mail?

Just for refrence, my .fetchmailrc looks like :

# MDA needs recepients as argument ;-)
# (%T is used for the local delivery name)
poll <host> protocol pop3
    user "<me>" , password "<pw>"
    is "dman" here
    options fetchall , stripcr , mda "/usr/sbin/exim %T"

Having just re-read my comment (included above) I think your MDA
(exim) is not being told the local delivery name, and thus doesn't
know what to do with it.

HTH,
-D

--

The heart is deceitful above all things
    and beyond cure.

I the Lord search the heart
    and examine the mind,
to reward a man according to his conduct,
    according to what his deeds deserve.

        Jeremiah 17:9-10