Re: Games - A question

On 29-Nov-2001 csj wrote:
> On Friday 30 November 2001 01:21, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:
>> That said games are one of the few things people 'accept' as closed
>> source. _It is an odd blend of real art, CS art, etc. _The best of
>> both worlds is what id Games does by releasing the source a year or
>> so after the game came out. _This way the next generation of coders
>> have literature to read (good writers read books, good coders read
>> code).
>
> Bad analogy. We rarely get to see the source code for a novel. The
> source for a novel is the writer's draft or revision marks. Think
> instead of scripts (source) and movies (binary). I remember stumbling
> across a "making-of" book about The Matrix. I could see in the script
> and the storyboard reproductions some of the differences between the
> concept and the final cut (the script/storyboard compiled with the
> director and editor's optimizations).

the written word is like a scripting language -- it is forced into the open.
The steps taken to get there are less interesting than the final draft.

Authors look at others for style, interesting wordings, etc.  Coders look for
neat tricks, optimizations, etc as well as things not to do.  Just like authors
look for grammars not to use.